Monday, July 12, 2010

Sierra Vista Scenic Byway, June 23, 2010

On Tuesday I attended the horse-and-mule training for the uninitiated put on by my pals at the High Sierra Ranger District of the Sierra National Forest. The three work centers where my Wilderness buddies are stationed are Wishon (woot!), High Sierra, and Clover Meadow. I had never seen Clover Meadow so on my way home on Wednesday, I drove up there via the Sierra Vista Scenic Byway, to take a look. Our tour begins in North Fork, the exact center of California (apparently, according to the sign):
First stop was the Jesse Ross cabin, built in the late 1860s and the oldest known residence still standing in Madera county:
Lots of flowers:
View of the Minarets and Mammoth Pool Reservoir from the Mile High Vista:
I think this is Sierra Penstemon:

Arch Rock, formed by wind and water erosion of the granite:

No comments:

Post a Comment