Monday, August 2, 2010

Woodchuck Country, July 21-27, 2010

On Wednesday, the first day of our tour, Lorrie the mule didn't look quite right, so Micki stayed back and mule-sat while Alison and I packed the tools and some gear up the trail to the first tree blocking the trail. Me on Frank, Coco carrying the gear, and Jesse carrying the tools.
Me and Alison cutting the tree blocking the trail:
Thursday Micki packed our gear, me, and Alison, to Woodchuck Lake, then rode back out. Frank, my mount, government horse extraordinaire:
For the rest of the trip, I backpacked. I know! Me! Can you believe it? Proof of my backpacking prowess, on the shore of Woodchuck Lake, where we base-camped:
Friday we cleared more trail. Shooting stars in the meadow near Chimney Lake:
The trail to Chimney Lake, where we inventoried campsites on Saturday, went way up, down, and around, so we hiked cross country down the talus slope below instead. I am not a fan of this stuff - I ride horses and stay on the trail. I was terrified, crawling on my hands and knees and making everyone wait forever for me, but I made it eventually and it WAS way shorter than the trail:
Chapo calling us in to service:
Sunday and Monday we inventoried and obliterated illegal campsites on Woodchuck Lake:
Applying soothing Chapo compresses after a hard day of hiking and obliterating:
Neat tree with twisty bark, caused by a lightning strike:
Woodchuck Country:
It was a great trip for creepy crawly things: 1. the mosquitoes were absolutely epic, 2. Zach, one of the interns, found an endangered Yosemite toad on Monday night, and 3. on our hike out Tuesday, Micki and I spotted this rubber boa:

No comments:

Post a Comment